Music boxes

Music boxes
Music boxes have within melodies they carry in them, once they're open music feels the air;
Every person you have known has a song of their own, once they open up you'll hear whats there;
Every person longs to find who they are deep inside, every person yearns to know their place..."

Friday, July 18, 2008

How average are you?

Two days ago I ran across a picture of me as a teenager while on vacation at the beach. My brain automatically took me to the year that this guy (who I had a crush on) told me that I wasn't ugly or beautiful. I was... average.
That year the guy ruined my summer vacation. I mean, who likes to hear that from a super good looking dude when you're 14 years old? I remember crying and crying about it. I wanted to be beautiful, stunning, gorgeous! Either that or be lied to; ya know, he could have lied just a little...

Well, that long forgotten incident got me thinking all night. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that being average is not something to be worried about, but actually proud of. I am an average woman... and I like it.

I'm not a famous singer, but I don't hurt other people's ears when I sing, especially not the bathroom walls;
I'm not a professional quilter, but I learned how to do it and my ONE finished quilt looks lovely on my kid's bed;
I never wrote a book or had anything I wrote published, but I have a collection of poems from my teenager years that aren't horrible and hey, I get to have my own blog;
I'm not fat, but I'm not top model thin;
I'm not the best mother in the world, I do yell at my kids sometimes, but they consider me their best friend and know that they're safe when they're home;
I'm not a gourmet chef, but my family thinks I'm the best cook ever; (we don't go out to eat often, so really, what do they have to compare my food to?)
I'm definitely not the best wife a man can have, but my man has never wished for another one. I'm quite blessed there.
I am not rich and don't own all the things I would like to, but I never went hungry in my life and always had a roof over my head and warm clothes to wear.
I was never nominated class leader during school years, but I made friends for a lifetime;
I'm not the world's best friend either, but I do know how to listen and love;
I can clean a house... occasionally;
I can make a beautiful scrapbook page... once every ten OK pages;
I cook for my family... at least once a week;
I can use a sewing machine... straight line only;
I make treats for my kids... sometimes because I want to, sometimes because I need to bribe them...
I can type on the computer... doesn't matter if it takes me two hours to write a blog entry;
I sometimes do a special something for someone, once in a while come up with a great idea, I have planted both a flower and a vegetable garden, I try everything that appeals to me and never get to be the expert, but can always get away with it, even when it comes to decorating my kids' birthday cakes, painting our house or making my own curtains and you know what, I mess up. A lot. But I do try to learn with my many mistakes and try to learn from them.

So, I'm an ordinary person with extraordinary dreams, and I do my best to make them come true. What a handsome, muscular, macho man with a big ego once told me, was nothing short of the best compliment I've ever had in my life. I do a lot of good things, and make lots of mistakes... but I'm happy that I am at a level that I recognise my weaknesses and have tons of room for improvement. And that, the way I see it, it's pretty darn good... I think. What do I know anyway? I'm just an average woman.

How about you?

No comments: